1st Day of ‘Garlic March’
I decided to use my garlic spread on a grilled avocado sandwich with garlic spread (minus the garlic spread). I just used my roasted garlic instead.
Sandwich (makes 3-4)
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 1 loaf other Italian bread
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, cut into thin slices, sprinkled with salt and pepper
- 1 medium tomato, cut into thin slices
- 10 -12 slices mozzarella cheese (thin slices)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1. For the sandwich, remove a small amount of the inside of ciabatta loaf (I didn’t do this…), creating a hollow in the center of the loaf to make room for the filling. Slice the ciabatta loaf, on an angle, into 3-4 sandwich-sized pieces. Slice each piece in half, lengthwise. Brush a small amount of olive oil onto the outside of each piece of bread, so that both the top and bottom halves of each sandwich have oil on the outside of the bread. Slather some garlic spread onto the inside of the bottom half of each sandwich, reserving any leftover spread for a later use. Onto the bottom half of each sandwich, place 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese, 2-3 slices of tomato, 3-4 slices of avocado, and about 2 tablespoons of feta cheese. Firmly place the top piece of bread onto each sandwich.
2. Brush a grill pan or griddle with a small amount of olive oil, and place over medium-high heat. Place the sandwiches onto the hot pan. Place a heavy pan on top of the sandwiches to weigh them down, careful not to squeeze the filling out of the sandwiches. After 3-4 minutes, use a spatula or tongs to carefully flip the sandwiches, and another 3-4 minutes, until cheese is completely melted.
3. Cool for a few minutes and serve.