So at dinner for my dad’s birthday last night, my mom told me what she wanted for her birthday: for me to make dinner. Not just for her, but for my whole family. And frankly, I’m super excited. I love to cook and I always troll Pinterest looking at dinner party decorations and fancy food that I wouldn’t make for just my consumption alone. And it’s the least I could do since she fed me for 18 years, right?
So here is where I need your help. I told my mom I’d make a 3-course meal: salad, entree and dessert. My mom has recently discovered my blog (it’s been secret up until now), but I told her I’d let her pick the menu items since she is kind of picky (sorry, Mom!), so it’s not some big surprise. She doesn’t like anything too fancy, so here are the options I’m going to give her. I need you to help me pick which you think sounds best!
Starter: No requirements
- Option 1 – French beans salad with tomatoes and corn from xinfully
- Option 2 – Spinach berry salad with blackberry-balsamic vinaigrette from Gimme Some Oven!
- Option 3 – Fresh spinach and strawberry salad from Jo Cooks
Entree: My requirement = something pasta
- Fettuccine with bacon and creamy spinach sauce from Home Cooking Rocks!
- Cheesy taco pasta from Lauren’s Latest
- Pesto pasta with chicken, asparagus & arugula from Gimme Some Oven!
Dessert: My requirement = something chocolate
- Option 1 – Turbo Charged Brownies with Salted Caramel & Walnuts from Confections of a Foodie Bride
- Option 2 – S’mores pie from The Pastry Affair
- Option 3 – Chocolate Layer Cake with Whipped Vanilla Cream, Raspberries, and Chocolate Buttercream from The Little Red House.
Her birthday is September 6, so I have a little bit of time, but I will be in Kiawah for the whole last week of August, into the beginning of September. I hope I’ll have time to try some of these out before the big b-day!
Thoughts? Wine suggestions? Let me know PLEASE!